Frequently Asked QuestionsFrequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Try one of these helpful quick links:

Academics Computing Events
Athletics Financial Services Student Services


What are the requirements to be on the Dean's List?

The Dean's List is issued after the end of the fall and spring semesters. It includes all full-time, degree-seeking students who have a grade point average of 3.5 or better for a full-time course load in the semester and who have earned no grade below C during the semester.

How are students registered for courses?

Students are registered as a collaborative effort between their regional coordinator and the Office of the Registrar. Registration for spring semester typically takes place in late October or early November. Registration for fall semester typically takes place in April. For more information about registering for classes, please contact your regional coordinator.

How can students view their course grades?

Student grades are maintained in Sakai and may be viewed at any time during the semester. Final grades are available at the end of exam week each semester.

Are tutoring services available?

The Burton Center houses our peer tutoring services. Tutoring is available in nearly every discipline (per your request) six days a week. Our hours are from 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. Monday - Thursday, 9 a.m.- 3 p.m. on Friday and 6 p.m.- 9 p.m. on Sunday. Tutoring is offered on a first come-first served basis and is delivered by highly trained peer tutors who complete a 3-hour credit course, Peer Tutor Seminar, prior to their employment in the Burton Center. The Burton Center offers mid-term and final exam review sessions, writing workshops, academic coaching, learning style assessment, group study sessions, and development of academic action plans all to help you to enhance your academic achievement.

When are semester breaks and holidays?

The academic calendar provides information on breaks and recesses. Before students or parents purchase tickets for plane travel around the holidays, students should consult their professors about their course schedule and exam times. How can I know when to purchase my student's airplane tickets to come home for breaks?

Before you make any plane reservations for your student, your student must consult the syllabus for each of his/her classes and discuss the class/exam schedule with the professor. While families can use the academic calendar as a general guideline of when school is out of session, some professors will schedule exams or assignments on the last day of class before break, and some professors have attendance requirements that only allow a certain number of missed classes, and your student is responsible for knowing the specific requirements for his/her classes. Also, your student must be sure of his/her final exam schedule.

What is FERPA and how does it affect access to grades?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) as amended is a federal law which is designed to protect the privacy of and limit access to the educational records of students. This means that institutions generally must withhold such information from parents and others who believe their relationship with the student entitles them to have the information. Lees-McRae College is able to release information if we have on file a signed FERPA release form. If the student has not signed a FERPA release form, the College generally cannot release the information unless it has proof of the student's status as a dependent under the Internal Revenue Code for the period covered. FERPA forms must be turned in to the Registrar's Office.


How do I access my classes?

To access classes, please visit Sakai. This website will house all your classes as well as all class information including syllabi, assignments and class discussions.

What do I do if I cannot access Sakai?

If you have trouble with your technology, there are many solutions. First, try rebooting your computer and checking your internet connection. If your problem persists, contact your professor and program coordinator to alert them of the problem. Then contact technology services by emailing or calling 828-898-5241.

What do I do when my mailbox is approaching the maximum space available?

When your mailbox is almost full, or is full, please delete emails to create space.

Who do I contact for computer questions?

The goal of the Department of Information Technology is to support the mission of Lees-McRae College by providing technical support and technological guidance to all members of the Lees-McRae College community.

Additionally, the Department of Information Technology is dedicated to providing leadership in the area of technology and infrastructure improvements. If you have questions, please visit the HelpDesk

Learn more about IT


Where can I find out what dates and times for events?

Lees-McRae College is a vibrant, active campus! Students, alumni, friends, family and the surrounding community enjoy a myriad of cultural, academic, athletic, and social opportunities. It makes a difference to see you there!

Keep up to date with the Campus Calendar

Athletics the official site of LMC Athletics

Student Financial Services

Do you charge for out-of-state students?

At Lees-McRae we do not charge any additional fees to out-of-state students and many of our currently enrolled students will tell you that it is just as affordable to attend Lees-McRae College as to attend a public university.

What is the Lees-McRae College Code for the FAFSA?

Over 95% of Lees-McRae College students receive financial assistance. Only one form is needed to start the process after you have been admitted to Lees-McRae - the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Complete the FAFSA online at and include the Lees-McRae College school code of 002939.

What are tuition due dates?

2013-2014 Tuition Due Dates:
Fall 2014 | August 1, 2014
Spring 2015 | December 19, 2014

How do I make a payment?

The college requests that all payments be made via our electronic system. Through this system, you can pay by e-check, MasterCard, VISA, Discover and American Express. (There are no service charges or fees associated with this system.)

Affording Lees-McRae College

Student Services

How can students obtain an ID Card?

A Lees-McRae ID Card will allow you to access athletic and performing arts events as well as non-Lees-McRae library facilities. It will also be proof of your status as a student and may include discounts at some restaurants and other attractions. To obtain a student ID Card, please send a photo to The photo must be in .jpg format and at least 50kb in size. You must be the only person in the photo. The photo may not contain any inappropriate imagery including, but not limited to, illegal substances and alcohol. If your photo is deemed inappropriate, a new photo will be requested and you will not receive your ID Card until you provide an appropriate photo. Once printed, you may obtain your ID Card from your regional coordinator.

How can I purchase textbooks from the Lees-McRae Bookstore?

Books can be purchased through the Lees-McRae bookstore and shipped to your home.

To order your books:

  • Check your course schedule on Webadvisor or check your classes on SAKAI and find the textbooks listed on each syllabus
  • Call the bookstore or program coordinator and let them know which books you need