My Lees-McRae College Christmas Wish List –
I have never been good at making a Christmas wish list. There are times in June and July where I think to myself about something I might need, but often times I forget it when it comes time to publish a list for the family. However, since I have sat in the chair of Director of Athletics, I have been fortunate to see what the athletic department’s needs are, and with this I thought why not put a few items down to see if there is truly a tenderhearted Santa Claus out there for everyone. Some may indeed be just wishes, yet they are needed in order for us to continue the great tradition and service we have given young people for the last 110 years.
We have made some remarkable accomplishments in regards to the success of our teams, and the fundraising efforts have also addressed some of our needs, but I thought why not put down on paper for all to see just what all else we could use.
So, if you know of someone or you would simply like to help out, by all means please play your role in making good tidings and great joy come to so many!!
1. Locker rooms for both volleyball programs, both lacrosse teams and track and field teams sure would make a difference.
2. Turf fields — practice facilities that can handle Mother Nature.
3. An indoor training facility, complete with training room, locker rooms, and a place for all sports to practice no matter the weather conditions.
4. Our gym parking lot to get a facelift.
5. A paint job on the exterior top part of the gym.
6. Repairs on the fencing around the athletic fields.
7. Drainage around the lower fields to prevent flooding and loss of practice fields.
8. A 4×4 gator, to get around the fields and haul off discarded items.
9. A utility truck to which we can load items for storage.
10. A diesel truck for the purpose of hauling the cycling trailer.
11. A charter bus for the purpose of transporting our student-athletes to games in style.
12. More assistant coaches to help with recruiting and mentoring.
13. The dirt road by the gym sure could use some asphalt — On dry, dusty days, it is a whirlwind of dust.
14. A newer version of some bleachers in the gym — The system in place is getting tougher to pull out by hand.
15. Track resurfacing — It is time for some new rubber and paint.
16. Office space — An addition to Williams Gymnasium to get our coaching staff under one roof would be efficient.
17. A field-house — Complete with storage space for our outdoor sports and even a concession stand!
18. A bigger Athletic Training Room — While I don’t want anyone to get hurt, taking care of 275 folks can be daunting in the space we currently have.
19. Upgrades in our weight room — There are all sorts of new gadgets out there to make us stronger, faster, and better.
20. Media room — A place for our coaches to show film, educate the student-athletes and target the technology advancements in training.
21. Interactive lobby and trophy cases — We have a lot of great video to showcase and this would be perfect.
22. Better lighting system in the gym — This allows us better broadcast capabilities.
23. Better press box for softball — With all of the other upgrades to this facility it would only make sense.
24. Upgrades to the cycling trails — NORBA do you hear me?
25. Bleacher system dug out of the hill for tennis — Sure would be unique.
26. Another couple of indoor tennis courts.
27. And while I am at it, our outdoor courts need some repair/renovating.
28. Continued growth in the Bobcat Club. Already doubled last year’s membership!!!
29. New basketball goals — I would love to roll some in and out for practice every day, hanging from the rafters scares me, but a lot of folks have them.
30. A sound system for the gym to which the Lees-McRazies can really make some noise.
31. How about a Pep Band? Would make for an intimidating home court!
32. What about new sports like swimming, skiing/snowboarding, triathlon, and dare I say FOOTBALL?
33. I am wishing for a 3.0 grade point average for our student-athletes this semester. (With our CATS, Challenging Athletes to Success program, I think we should be real close)
34. Our coaches and staff have a restful, safe and fun-filled holiday break, as they have been working so much to keep up with the success of our program.
35. Our student-athletes continue to do some training, but also share their time with friends and family over these holidays, re-charging for the Spring semester.