Frequently Asked QuestionsFrequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

For New Students

What should I know about the course selection process for my first-year student?

New students will participate in Summer Orientation the summer before moving onto campus in August. On this day, students will meet with their advisor, participate in entrance exams, and register for classes.

The College Catalog is online and will provide some basic information regarding core curriculum requirements and requirements for each individual major.

For more information on orientation click here.


What are the requirements to be on the Dean's List?

The Dean's List is issued after the end of the fall and spring semesters. It includes all full-time, degree-seeking students who have a grade point average of 3.5 or better for a full-time course load in the semester and who have earned no grade below C during the semester.

Are tutoring services available?

The Burton Center houses our peer tutoring services. Tutoring is offered on a first come-first served basis and is delivered by highly trained peer tutors who complete a 3-hour credit course, Peer Tutor Seminar, prior to their employment in the Burton Center. The Burton Center offers mid-term and final exam review sessions, writing workshops, academic coaching, learning style assessment, group study sessions, and development of academic action plans all to help you to enhance your academic achievement. Click here to learn more.

When are semester breaks and holidays?

The academic calendar provides information on breaks and recesses. Before students or parents purchase tickets for plane travel around the holidays, students should consult their professors about their course schedule and exam times.

How can I know when to purchase my student's airplane tickets to come home for breaks?

Before you make any plane reservations for your student, your student must consult the syllabus for each of his/her classes and discuss the class/exam schedule with the professor. While families can use the academic calendar as a general guideline of when school is out of session, some professors will schedule exams or assignments on the last day of class before break, and some professors have attendance requirements that only allow a certain number of missed classes, and your student is responsible for knowing the specific requirements for his/her classes. Also, your student must be sure of his/her final exam schedule.

What is FERPA and how does it affect parent access to grades?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) as amended is a federal law which is designed to protect the privacy of and limit access to the educational records of students. This means that institutions generally must withhold such information from parents and others who believe their relationship with the student entitles them to have the information. Lees-McRae College is able to release information if we have on file a signed FERPA release form. If the student has not signed a FERPA release form, the College generally cannot release the information unless it has proof of the student's status as a dependent under the Internal Revenue Code for the period covered. FERPA forms must be turned in to the Registrar's Office.

If my student has signed the FERPA form, how am I notified of grades?

If the student signs FERPA, both mid-term and final grades are mailed via US mail either home or to the address the student provided on their form.

Career Services

How do students learn about career opportunities?

Lees-McRae College is committed to mentoring students as they seek to find their own path to success after college. We encourage students in this path by helping them find the answers to these three key questions:

Learning goes beyond the classroom and to help students think about who they are and identify their unique skills the career resources centers provides testing that helps a student determine what his or her interests truly are, what their skills are and how those two can come together as a path to the future.

How can students explore possible majors and career paths?

To help the student on their chosen path we offer career counseling, career seminars, résumé preparation assistance, interview preparation assistance, and maintain a listing of internships and job postings in many different areas. Our goal is to help Lees-McRae students successfully enter the competitive global market of the 21st Century.

Learn more about the Career Services


Who do I contact for computer questions?

The goal of the Office of Technology Services is to support the mission of Lees-McRae College by providing technical support and technological guidance to all members of the Lees-McRae College community.

Additionally, the Office of Technology Services is dedicated to providing leadership in the area of technology and infrastructure improvements. If you have questions, please visit the HelpDesk

Learn more about IT

Dining Services

What do I need to know about dining plans?

The Dining Hall features a variety of menu options, including home style entrees and fresh vegetables, an extensive salad bar, the grill with sandwiches and sides, a self-service deli, homemade pizza - hot from the oven, hot and hearty soups, delicious desserts, assorted beverages and more! Our menus also feature a variety of vegetarian items. We will work individually with students to assist with other special dietary needs.

Meal Plan Options

Students who live in a residence hall with no kitchen facilities will have the new All Access Meal Plan with $125 (per semester) in Wily’s money. On the new meal plan, students will be able to come and go as they please with unlimited access to MacDonald Dining Hall. This includes multiple visits throughout the day for meals, snacks or even just to sit with friends and study.

Students who live in an area with a full kitchen (example: Bobcat Way) will have the option to choose between the 125 Block Meal Plan with $300 (per semester) in Wily’s Money or the All Access Meal Plan with $125 (per semester) in Wily’s money.

Meal Plan Change Form

Wily's Bar & Grill

Located in the Cannon Student Center, Wily's is a game room and snack bar offering made-to-order grilled sandwiches, chicken tenders and sides. Wily's also serves beer and wine to those of legal drinking age. Wily's now features a full complement of Starbucks® coffees and teas as well as pastries and other delicious goodies. Wily's game room and sitting area is open daily from 7:30 a.m - midnight.

Contact MacDonald Dining Hall at 828.898.8795
Contact Wily's Bar & Grill at 828.898.8732


Where can I find out what dates and times for events?

Lees-McRae College is a vibrant, active campus! Students, alumni, friends, family and the surrounding community enjoy a myriad of cultural, academic, athletic, and social opportunities. It makes a difference to see you there!

Keep up to date with the Campus Calendar

Athletics - The official site of LMC Athletics

Student Financial Services

Do you charge for out-of-state students?

At Lees-McRae we do not charge any additional fees to out-of-state students and many of our currently enrolled students will tell you that it is just as affordable to attend Lees-McRae College as to attend a public university.

What is the Lees-McRae College Code for the FAFSA?

Over 95% of Lees-McRae College students receive financial assistance. Only one form is needed to start the process after you have been admitted to Lees-McRae - the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Complete the FAFSA online at and include the Lees-McRae College school code of 002939.

How do I make a payment?

The college requests that all payments be made via our electronic system. Through this system, you can pay by e-check, MasterCard, VISA, Discover and American Express. (There are no service charges or fees associated with this system.)

Affording Lees-McRae College

Campus Life

How many students can be housed on campus?

Our campus houses 700 students in 11 residence halls including cottages, suites, apartments, houses, and halls, each with its own style and charm. Students living on campus enjoy benefits like wireless internet, cable television, student lounges, and ample green space to play, study, and enjoy the mountain air.

How many groups and/or clubs are there on campus?

Lees-McRae students make connections and become actively engaged in their own education through more than 25 student groups and clubs. Organizations like the Student Government Association give students a voice on campus while others like our service-based sororities and fraternities develop friendships through the common interest of helping others. Whether your passion involves hiking and rock climbing, performing arts, saving the environment, or riding horses, chances are you'll find a club at Lees-McRae that suits your interests.

Learn more about student life

Pet-Friendly Campus

How do I apply if I want to bring my pet from home?

If you can't imagine leaving your beloved family pet at home, Baldwin and McMillan Residence Halls, along with houses and apartments, now house students and more than 24 pets. One of a handful of pet-friendly campuses in the nation, Lees-McRae allows second year students to apply for a pet-friendly room

What should your student bring to college?

List of items to bring to college

Common Policies and Regulations

Alcohol is not allowed in any residence hall room unless the room has been registered as a "registered state law room" and individuals are of the legal drinking age of 21

Students are responsible for the community areas in their residence halls. If there are damages or items stolen in community areas and the individual(s) responsible are not identified, the damages/loss will be divided among residents of the room, floor or building.

If a student quits attending classes, the housing contract will be null and void and he/she must move out of campus housing immediately.

Room Keys: If a room key is lost, the lock will be changed at the replacement cost of $35.00. The student is responsible for this fee. If a student fails to return his/her room key upon leaving the college will be charged a fee of $35.00.

Lees-McRae keys are not to be duplicated by anyone other than the Lees-McRae locksmith

All residence hall rooms are provided with telephone service. Students must supply their own touch-tone telephone. Local telephone service, as well as voice mail service, is provided to the resident student. Long distance access is the student's responsibility.

If a student needs to make a maintenance request, they may report the problem to the Residence Life Staff. The RLS will then pass the information on to the Facility Services.

Quiet Hours: 8 p.m. - 8 a.m. (Monday - Friday) and from 1 a.m. - 1 p.m. (Saturday and Sunday) in all residence halls. Quiet hours will be in effect 24 hours a day during final exams.

Parking information

What are the Lees-McRae Parking Rules?

General | Lees-McRae College Parking and Traffic Rules

  1. Students who park in the Town of Banner Elk illegally, for the purpose of attending classes at Lees-McRae College, are subject to of being ticketed $100 by the Lees-McRae Office of Campus Security. We ask for your help in keeping a strong relationship with the community, local businesses and the Town of Banner Elk.
  2. Display your parking permit as directed by Campus Security, transferring your tag to another vehicle must be approved by the Office of Campus Security.
  3. Any vehicle that is parked on the Lees-McRae College campus must have a valid faculty/staff, student, or visitor Permit. Any unauthorized vehicle found parked on campus without a permit is subject to being immobilized or towed at the owner’s expense.
  4. Lees-McRae College assumes no risk or liability for damage to any vehicle, nor loss of contents, while any vehicle is parked on College property.
  5. Faculty/staff lots are reserved for faculty and staff Monday through Friday. Students may park in any faculty/staff lot on weekends from Friday at 5:00 p.m. to Monday at 1:00 a.m.
  6. Visitor lots are located in the Library and Cannon Student Center. Theses lots are for visitors, not students.
  7. The President’s Lot is for the President, his staff, and his guests. This policy is enforced 24/7.
  8. Do not double park. Do not park in front of No Parking signs. Do not block access to buildings. Do not block roadways, fire lanes, fire hydrants, private driveways, and loading zones. Do not park on sidewalks. Do not park where barricades, speed cones or other traffic control devices are used. Do not park on the grass.
  9. Do not park in designated Handicapped Parking unless you are handicapped and have an authorized handicap tag or placard. You are also required to have a valid Lees-McRae Parking Permit.
  10. Obey the traffic laws. The speed limit on campus is 15 mph. Stop at all stop signs. Traffic laws are enforced by the Banner Elk Police Department.

On Campus Students | Lees-McRae College Parking and Traffic Rules

  1. Students are required to park in their assigned lot. All student lots are for students with the appropriate permits for those lots. This policy is enforced 24/7, including weekends and holidays.
  2. Students who live in the Houses must park in a designated parking space. All other students with a House permit must park in the Track & Field Lot or Williams Gym II Lot. Do not block any vehicle.
  3. Students with House permits may park in the Post Office Lot Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. No overnight parking.

Commuters | Lees-McRae College Parking and Traffic Rules

Commuter Parking: The lot behind the Presbyterian Church is available Monday-Friday only (labeled the Church Lot), and is only for commuter students. Do not park there on Saturday/Sunday or you will be ticketed or towed. If the Church Lot is full, commuter permits may overflow to the Post Office Lot, which is between Avery Lot and the Lauritsen Building. No overnight parking.

Visitors | Lees-McRae College Parking and Traffic Rules

All visitors, including parents and friends must have a visitors parking permit in order to park on campus. Students or the visitor can get a visitor pass at the Office of Campus Security at the cost of $3 per day. Visitors will park in assigned lots. This applies even if the visitor is parked in a marked visitor spot. If Security is not in the office, please call 828.260.0505. Students are responsible for making sure any and all visitors obtain a visitor pass.

Additional parking rules and regulations are outlined in the annual Lees-McRae Student Handbook.

How much is a parking permit?

The parking permit fee for residential students is set at a flat rate of $125 per year. Premium lots have an additional fee of $25.00 ($150.00 total). The parking permit fee for commuters is $75.00 per year.

Do I need to register my vehicle?

All students who park on campus must obtain a parking permit.

Lot assignments are issued on a first come, first served basis.

Additional parking information

Mail Services and Deliveries

How do I mail a letter to my student?

Letters and magazines should be addressed as:

Student Name
PO Box 128
CPO# XXXX (where XXXX = your student's Campus Box #)
Lees-McRae College
Banner Elk, NC 28604

How do I mail a UPS or FedEx package to my student?

Address UPS or FedEx packages as follows:

Student Name
Campus Box XXXX (where XXXX = your student's Campus Box #)
191 Main Street
Banner Elk, NC 28604

How can my student get his/her mail forwarded during the summer?

Mail Services put a flyer in each student's post office box during the week of finals with instructions on how to have the mail forwarded for the summer. If your student did not see the flyer in his or her post office box, ask the student to see the Director of the Post Office, Sandy Ramsey, for assistance.

How can I send flowers to my student's residence hall?

All student floral deliveries must go through the Lees-McRae Post Office on campus (because residence halls are locked to non-students). When a delivery is made to the Post Office, the Post Office will email the student alerting him/her to the fact that they have a floral arrangement to pick up. When parents order from a florist, they must provide the following address:

Student Name
Campus Box XXXX (where XXXX = your student's Campus Box #)
191 Main Street
Banner Elk, NC 28604