The mission of Counseling Services is to work with and for
students to promote their psychological well-being, personal
effectiveness, and personal growth, so as to help them achieve
their academic and personal goals.
We are dedicated to creating an
inclusive atmosphere for individuals of
all ethnicities, cultures, ages, sexual
orientations, gender expressions,
abilities, spiritual practices, and
Why Do Students Seek Counseling?
The top four reasons students typically seek counseling are for concerns with:
- Depression (feeling low, moody, lack of motivation)
- Anxiety (worry, obsessive thoughts, feelings of panic, physiological symptoms)
- Relationships (romantic, friendships, lack of satisfying relationships)
- Alcohol and Drug Concerns
These four areas are very broad and can be the result of many different types of stressors. No problem is too small, and students seek counseling for many reasons besides the four listed above. Students will often seek a counselor when they feel "stuck," and feel unable to make some progress in working through their problems. Many college therapists think of counseling as seeking a coach, much in the way an athlete strives to improve their athletic ability; we also relate counseling to taking a class on yourself - and we challenge you to excel in this course.
Why Students Like Counseling
- They feel better!
- Students are able to better cope with their current concern, and feel more capable of dealing with future problems as they arise.
- Helps increase their involvement in campus
- Some even say counseling helped increase their grades because they are handling their stressors in a more healthy manner than before. As a result, they study more efficiently!
- It's free! Counseling Services are provided as a free service
to all currently enrolled Lees-McRae students.