The College is operating under normal conditions.
About Campus Security
The Lees-McRae College Campus Security team’s number one priority is your safety. We are dedicated to the security of our students, staff, faculty and property, and our goal is to provide a safe campus, living and learning environment.
We provide and support general and emergency services 24 hours per day, 365 days per year, and we enforce campus rules and regulations. Our officers work with and assist area law enforcement agencies with violations of North Carolina and Federal laws both on and off-campus.
Report a Crime or Emergency
Call 911 and / or Campus Security (828.898.8756) if:
- You see fire or smell smoke
- You witness someone vandalizing property or stealing
- You witness someone hurting another person
- You see something suspicious
- You have something stolen
- Someone becomes injured or ill
Even if you aren’t sure security is needed, call anyway and let us assess the situation.
- Campus Security Supervisor HD Stewart: 828.260.0505 / email@example.com
- Campus Security Office: 828.898.8756
- Banner Elk Police Department: 828.898.4300
- Avery County Sheriff’s Office: 828.733.3858
- Cannon Hospital: 828.737.7000
General Information and Resources
|Sign up for the Emergency Alert System|
|Annual Safety Report|
|Request for Security Services Form|
|North Carolina Sexual Offender Registry|
Winter Safety Tips
Winter in Banner Elk is a beautiful time of the year, but it is also a time when winter storms and sub-zero temperatures pose a threat. We want to offer some winter safety tips to keep you safe during the winter season.
- Wear proper footwear when walking on snow and ice. Boots or well-insulated shoes that are waterproof with non-slip tread are ideal.
- Take small steps to keep your balance and avoid slipping.
- Do not text or talk on your phone while walking on snow or ice.
- Hold handrails when they are available for added support.
- Avoid walking underneath icicles. As melting occurs, falling icicles are especially dangerous.
- Walk on designated walkways as much as possible.
- Avoid driving in snowy or icy conditions if at all possible. If it is necessary for you to travel, make sure that your tires are in good shape and that all essential features are working properly (lights, brakes, etc.).
- Keep your gas tank as full as possible and your cell phone fully charged when traveling during inclement weather.
- Keep a winter safety kit in your car that includes a flashlight, blanket, first aid kit, bottles of water and snacks.
General Safety Tips
- Avoid walking alone at night and always walk in groups
- Keep your doors locked even when you are in your room
- Always have your keys out and ready when you approach your vehicle or residence hall
- Don’t let strangers follow you into your residence hall, and contact the security office if you have any safety concerns
- Alert a friend or roommate of your whereabouts and your expected return whether you are leaving for a few hours or a few days
- Keep an eye out for wildlife and never approach bears or other wild animals
- Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings
- Report any suspicious activity to Campus Security (828.898.8756)