Send comments or questions to email@example.com.
Welcome International Students!
Lees-McRae College encourages applications from international students and welcomes their presence as a vital part of the campus community. Currently, students from 35 states and territories, and 10 countries represent our diverse student body.
The Admissions Office considers international applicants based on citizenship or permanent resident (green card holder for more than twelve months).
- Deadline for Fall Admission: July 1, 2014
Steps to Admission
To be considered for international admission:
- Submit completed application (online or by mail)
- Pay your $35 application fee online or by check: PO Box 128, Banner Elk, NC 28604
- Submit official and certified secondary school transcript (Transcripts must be translated into English and document the last four years of secondary school)
- Submit official SAT or ACT scores (may be required). Click here to learn more about our test-optional admissions policy.
- Submit TOEFL (Test of English As a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores (Required for all international students whose native language is not English. Minimum requirements are: TOEFL – 80 Internet Based and IELTS – 6.5).
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher or school official that is familiar with the applicant
Transfer Students: International students must submit official and certified transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended within the United States and outside the United States. If an international student wants credit for any prior university-level work from a foreign university, he/she must provide a course-by-course evaluation of their post-secondary academic documents compiled by a World Education Services (WES). Students wishing to use other credential evaluations should first check with Lees-McRae Admissions to see if these evaluations will be accepted.
Congratulations, you've been accepted! To reserve your place at Lees-McRae, please provide:
- $250 tuition deposit to reserve your place (Deposits are refundable until May 1 for fall admission and until December 1 for spring admission.)
- Certification of Finances (Students must prove that he/she has the financial resources available and can pay the cost of a college education in order for an I-20 to be issued. Section Nine of the form must be completed before any action can take place. Click here for information on costs and fees at Lees-McRae.)
- Proof of Immunization as required by the State of North Carolina
- Completed room assignment form
International Student Financial Aid: In order for any international student to be eligible for any financial aid awards, he/she must complete the International Student Financial Aid Application.
Note: If a student becomes delinquent with his/her account, he/she will no longer be allowed to register/attend classes, and therefore by definition, the student will not be registered full-time per immigration regulation as an F-1 student. The student would then be "terminated" in SEVIS and have fifteen (15) days to leave the country.
How to Submit Information
Office of Admissions, Lees-McRae College
PO Box 128, Banner Elk, NC 28604, USA
Securing I-20 and Visa
After student's admission has been approved, international students will be asked to submit a
$250 enrollment deposit, along with the roommate and medical forms included in the admitted student packet. The enrollment deposit must be received prior to the issuance of the I-20. (Deposits are refundable until May 1 for fall admission and until December 1 for spring admission.)
Once the I-20 is processed it will be mailed to the international student. We recommend allowing up to 60 days for obtaining the student visa (F-1) from the American Consulate in the student's home country.
If an international student already holds a valid student visa, and if he/she is currently registered with another college or university in the United States, please notify the Primary Designated School Official (PDSO) at his/her home school to have his/her foreign student records in SEVIS transferred to Lees-McRae College. Click here, to download the International Student Transfer Form.
Communicating With Us
Due to time zone differences, we will initially try to communicate via email with the international student. Therefore, we strongly suggest international students regularly check the email account they have provided us for any updates or requests from our office. Similarly, notify us of any change in email, address or telephone contact information. To contact the international student admissions counselor, please click here.
Arriving at Lees-McRae
Lees-McRae College will provide two set dates for airport pick-up and drop-off at the beginning and end of each semester. If students do not arrive or leave on the arranged dates, he/she must make his/her own arrangements for transportation to and from the campus. Students are expected to arrive in time for advising/registration, international student orientation, and the first day of classes. International students are not given preferential treatment to take final exams early. He/she must plan flights for the day after final exams are completed. An academic calendar will be provided in the admitted student packet.